Over the last few months I've been working to push my modelling and texturing skills. I've been practising on assorted projects in Blender 3D and Unity 5 (using Blender models). While searching for better tools to improve one of my weakest skills, texturing, I came across Allegorithmic's Substance Painter. It has quickly become an essential part of my workflow. I love the toolset; It's quick, it's well laid out, it has some robust generators and effects, and it feels familiar to anyone who has used Photoshop in the past. My biggest problem has been converting Substance Painter's PBR Metal/Roughness maps into materials within Blender's shader nodes. For every project I was basically creating a new node tree, playing with it until I got something that looked relatively pretty in Cycles, but was often inconsistent to what I was seeing in Substance Painter. This week, I finally made a single simple nodegroup which takes Substance Painter's PBR maps and turns them into Blender Shaders. All you have to do is append the nodegroup into your project, plug in your maps, and that's it! Let's take a look at its construction!
I haven't given up on the game I've been making, and I've spent the last week completely rewriting the code. I've learned quite a bit more now for the programming, so I went and overhauled all the events as pure written code, cleaned up the syntax, made some improvements to the speed and optimization, and added some graphical features. I've been trying to work on a difficulty system which you'll see in the new "Options" menu, but as of right now I can't seem to get it working so it's purely for show. For anyone who wants to play and send feedback however, have fun!
My name is Jeffrey Hepburn, and I'm a young writer, graphic design artist, and aspiring filmmaker.